It is true. We are all guilty. Even the strongest of will have fallen victim to an extra-large scoop of ice cream or the chocolate candy bar with caramel and nougat that mysteriously found its way into your grocery cart. We are but human, and as such, we often crave foods that are not necessarily good for us. However, what if there were healthy snack ideas that you could substitute and not feel guilty about? Junk food alternatives that are tasty and satisfying? Unlike many products that promise great flavor, but do not deliver, these snacks will provide guilt-free indulgence.
Healthy Snacks on the Go
Trying to maintain your eating habits while always on the go is quite a feat. A bit of preparation will help prevent you from grabbing whatever is available to satisfy your cravings. Perfect healthy snack ideas for people on the go include foods that are easy to store and transport.
- Trail Mix – Here is the perfect snack alternative for any annoying food cravings you may have. A combination of dried nuts and fruits and you are good to go. Be careful with some trail mix containing candies as these can pack on additional unnecessary calories.
- Popcorn – At only 300 calories for a 3 cup serving of (unsalted)air-popped popcorn will help satisfy any moments of hunger.
- Jerky – With options ranging from turkey, beef, pork and even vegan bases, jerky is a fantastic protein treat for anyone. Today, many are made without preservatives and additives which has considerably lowered the sodium levels.
- Greek Yogurt – Low in sugar and high in protein is a double whammy to your hunger pains. Packed with proteins and an excellent source of calcium, it is a guaranteed guilt-free snack.
- Fresh Fruit – Nutritious and naturally sweet, a handful of fresh fruit will keep you going.
- And yes, Chocolate – dark chocolate made with at least 70% cocoa is an ideal tradeoff for your milk chocolate. Although it’s one of the unknown healthy snack ideas, dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants and is a delicious snack for your sweet tooth.
Healthy Snack Recipes
When you find time in your schedule to DIY a few healthy snack ideas, the options are limitless. With the following recipes, it will be easier to stay motivated and make the right food choices for your health and well-being.
This Japanese soup is a combination of miso paste and boiling water. Although you can combine them at a ratio that appeals to your taste, you can start with a base: stir 4-5 tablespoons of paste to 1 quart of boiling water. Remove from heat and serve. Other ingredients such as vegetables may be added. Miso paste is traditionally made from fermenting soybeans. However, there are different flavors made from chickpeas, adzuki beans, barley, and rice. Miso is low in calories and an exceptional source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
Part of a healthy Mediterranean diet, hummus has taken on the typical chips and dip industry as one of the top healthy snack ideas. Easy to make at home, hummus is a blend of ground chickpeas, garlic, and olive oil. Roasted red peppers are a popular addition to a hummus recipe. Use the dip for pita chips or vegetables, and you will have a wonderful snack substitute.
These gluten-free no crust mini quiches are perfect healthy snack ideas. Quick to prepare, they can be kept in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for more extended storage. A minute or two in the microwave to reheat and these quiches are sure to curb your cravings.
These powerhouse energy treats have taken the internet by storm. With various ingredients that include chocolate, cranberries, oatmeal, peanut butter and pistachios there is no way you can go wrong with these snack alternatives. They are packed with protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and nutrients your body needs. Search the internet and find your perfect energy ball recipe. If you are feeling adventurous, combine a few of the recipes.
No need to snack in guilt any longer. Whether it be a trail mix, Greek yogurt, hummus or a mini quiche, these healthy snacks make excellent substitutes for the wrong food choices we all have made. They are equally convenient, inexpensive and will have you feeling your best.